Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cutting in paint on wall and ceiling.?

I am having a disagreement with my husband. He started to cut in the paint on the ceiling and wall. Then stops, the paint dries. He says it doesn't matter. I'll finish it when I want to. In the other bathroom where he did it it showed. He says it was due to poor paint. Granted the paint he is using today is a warm white over a cool white. But aren't you suppose to cut in and paint right away over the cut in? Or is it matter more when it is a difference in paint color?Cutting in paint on wall and ceiling.?
Hi. If flat paint is being used it might not show, any other sheen will show a difference in color if teh cutting is let to dry. I often double coat the cutting with the first coat being quite light. Leave a wet edge is a rule in painting which means paint into wet paint. It is always best to do the body of the painting while the cutting is still wet otherwise the dry part will act as an additional coat of paint and not blend in. I am not explaining this well but you are right. In a bathroom flat paint is not used, generally so any drying of the cutting will show up regardless of what brand or quality of paint is being used.Cutting in paint on wall and ceiling.?
Easy, people do not know that paint is a sealer. When you paint in one spot, it seals the spot and resists new paint, causing difference in sheen, texture and sometime color. I do handyman work on the side. Because I am an underpaid cop. I always blue tape and paint edges to about 1.5 to 2 inches. Then I take the brush and VERY GENTLY/ barely touching the paint with the end of the bristles and glide over to take out brush marks then grab the roller. Usually completing one wall at a time.
I have never found it to make any difference to the appearance of the final coat whether you cut in first or after, or stop partway through, as long as you get enough paint on the walls to cover properly which almost always means two coats, with roller and with brush. If you only do one coat, you're very likely to see where the cutting in was done because roller and brush leave slightly different texture which will be visible when one or the other doesn't cover well. I mean, if you're doing a big room there is no way in the world to do all the cutting in first or all the rolling first without having the paint dry somewhere before you get to the next step.
My stepdad and I painted my entire house, one room at a time. He used to be a professional painter with his father, and when he and I did it, we would cut in and paint without letting anything dry.
Instead of arguing about it, either help him or do it yourself.





Some people like to have one person cut, and the other roller.





Probably the previous paint was crap. 10 years ago I painted my walls red over white, 2 coats done. 2 years ago I painted my walls red again. 4 coats later, you can still see every single spot where I accidentally hit the walls with the ceiling paint.





and yes you are right- the answer was b****y.
YES ALWAYS KEEP A WET EDGE


LEAVE YOUR HUSBAND HE COULDNT RUN A BATH PMSL
I don't think the time difference will matter much as long as you blend in the paint around the area where it was previously cut in so the brush strokes aren't visible. Even that won't matter much on a ceiling. Once it's done you won't notice small imperfections.





Sounds like my husband and me when we work together. Home renovations are lethal to marriages!

No comments:

Post a Comment