Thursday, February 25, 2010

Do i paint my cabinets dark and walls light or the other way around?

I want to paint my kitchen walls and cabinets but dont know if the walls should be a little darker than the cabinets or maybe the walls light and the cabinets dark. Also I have paneling I want to paint so do I paint it a different color than the walls and cabinets.Do i paint my cabinets dark and walls light or the other way around?
I'd paint the cabinets lighter and the walls a little darker shade. Nothing hardly makes a house look as old or as out of style as dark cabinets. Dark cabinets just scream 1970's and 1980's. The paneling color partly depends on where it is. You also may want to use some wood putty over the grooves in the wood paneling if it's the wide 1970's style paneling. If the panels are narrower (about 2'; or so), I'd leave the grooves in place.





Don't worry about the room being too dark if you go with a slightly darker color for the walls. The walls don't have to be all that much darker than the cabinets. I'd go with a medium tone for the walls and a light tone for the cabinets.Do i paint my cabinets dark and walls light or the other way around?
I just finished painting my cabinets %26amp; walls. Saved a ton of money by doing it myself. Be sure to Kilz or prime cabinets before you paint. As far as the color goes, it's whatever YOU like.Some people didn't like the colors I chose but now that the job is finished, they are in awe when they enter the kitchen. Can you tell I'm proud of them. They look awesome.
The colors you choose will have an effect on which surface should be lighter or darker.





Also, the mood or theme you wish to give your room will have some bearing on the colors you choose.





Traditionally, larger surface areas call for lighter shades- however much can be said for lighter cabinets with equally light but contrasting colored walls. I've a friend who painted her walls pastel pink with white cabinets. While that wouldn't be my first choice, it goes really well with her personality and suits the atmosphere she's created in her home- Kitschy and Americana-ish. Another friend choose brown walls and orange cabinets. Again, not my first choice but it suits his taste and personality, so it works in his home.





Besides, it makes visiting them a great experience. Their homes are anything but boring.





It all depends upon how daring you want to be.





Go with what you like. You're the one living in it, why listen to someone else?
There are no rules when it comes to decorating your own home. Do what workes for you.
Just remember that dark colors will make a room seem smaller and more crowded, I would stick to various shades of light colors, like nothing too dark, maybe what you could do is paint light colors and give the kitchen a dark wall paper border, paint the cabinets a nice contrasting light color and change the knobs to something darker to match the border. This way there is contrast and yet you can still make your kitchen look spacious.





Good luck, re-decorating is always fun!
Everyone has differant tastes and you are getting them here. Not knowing what the room looks like, it's hard to say, but my opinion is walls and paneling a lighter color and the cabinets a darker color. You also want to eliminate finger prints showing on the cabinets. By painting the walls and paneling the same color, it gives a larger and more uniform look to the kitchen. You then can really have fun with accessories and bring in other colors.
The larger surface area, (walls) should always be lighter. That means the cabinets would look better a darker color with the surrounding walls much lighter.
I would go cabinets dark and walls light. The dark colour will make your cabinets stand out. Dark on walls makes your room appear smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment