Thursday, February 25, 2010

I have a blue and green striped bedset should i paint my walls midnight blue?

i have a small room and my friend told me that dark walls make your room look even smaller. Help?????I have a blue and green striped bedset should i paint my walls midnight blue?
Small room = light colors. You'll regret using dark colors in a small room. We have a couple large rooms (26 x 30 and 20 x 26) that have been painted forest green and barn red. It helps make a big room cozy.





We let our daughter paint her bedroom and she chose a dark chalky blue and it's horrible.





Pick a light color that compliments your current bedding but gives you some flexibility to change your bedding and window treatments in the future.I have a blue and green striped bedset should i paint my walls midnight blue?
Dark walls - especially that dark - will make your room look a lot smaller. Also, it will make things much more difficult if you want to repaint later. Generally speaking, it will take at least two extra coats to cover a dark color.





I would recommend picking up paint samples and seeing how they look with the lighting in your room. See if you can find a lighter color that you like as much - your room will feel bigger than with the dark color, and it will be easier to change if you want a different look!
Way too dark and you will feel like you are in a cocoon. If that is the look you want then do it. I just don't think you will like it. Choose the color of your room to be more neutral. When you tire of the blue and green bedding, you won't have to repaint to make the new work. Decorate with color through your accessories instead. Add a great colorful large area rug, pillows, artwork. Those are easy to trade out when you want different bedding colors. Walls aren't.
Don't do it! Dark paint does make small rooms seem smaller. Also, think if you ever want to repaint that room it'll take one coat of primer, then probably 2 more coats of paint. I would go and get paint samples and find something that matches. Can you go a few shades light of midnight blue?

No comments:

Post a Comment