Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How do I re-paint white walls in my house?

The walls in my house are all plain white walls. I have a few questions: First- The walls look dirty and discolored- they have not been painted in years, and are very marked up. Would we be able to get away with painting just 1 coat of white to the walls and have it look good enough to show a possible buyer? Second- If one coat of paint will suffice, then what about using just one coat of paint on all of the walls but instead of using white we would use a warmer color like beige, off white, or something like that (I heard that it makes the house feel warmer.) Third- We have very high vaulted ceiling throughout the house, what do you suggest we do to reach high areas...( we are trying to save $- so I will paint the walls myself and get some friends to come over and help out). and Fourth- I heard there is a cool hand machine that you can rent which sprays paint onto walls and gets the job done quicker, what is the deal with that- how much is that, where do I get it, is it messy?thanxHow do I re-paint white walls in my house?
First clean the walls with a strong cleanser. If you do not know what kind of paint is on your walls you may need to use a coating of kilz (primer). For example, latex paint will not stick over oil paint. It will peel right off. Maybe one coat will work after that because the primer is white. I agree a little bit of color will look good and probably cover a little better too. Cheapest way to save money- ladders and lots of friends. dont spend your money on the hand machine when you have lots of free hands to paint.How do I re-paint white walls in my house?
U can rent a latter or what u need for the ceilings etc, Yes they have a wonderful spray at Lowes or any home store. You canget the job done fast and really not that much of a mess. Just put plastic down and be sure to wear a mask when spraying, A warn Beige should cover the old whire well, be sure to buy good paint, it will cover well with one coat, it will be more but worth the extra $ Good Luck...
Contact a rental company for the sprayer. And the ladder with a scaffold. Unfortunately you'll just have to try a wall, in light tan (my suggestion) and see if it covers, if it doesn't you'll need two coats. You realize everything you do is tax deductible?
before starting I would go to your local home improvement place and ask but I know when we painted my daugthers room pink we cleaned the walls with soap and water then primed them because we were not sure what paint was on before hand. Then we painted. Her room is pink and it only took one coat. to see how many coats I would get a tiny can of the colors you like and test an area if you think one will work go for that. I would say go for something that isn't that bright white. I know eggshell looks decent (or at least in the house we used to have).
Go to Home Depot! They have people there that can help you with all of your questions! But I would paint with a primer first and then put a coat of paint on the walls! How many coats depends on the quality of paint you buy and the color. The darker you go the more coats you will need to achive that color!
paint your walls with whatever color you like and let dry, inspect them to see if they need another coat if so repaint them. As far as vaulted ceilings get yourself an extension ladder cut the ceiling in and then roll with a extension pole which can be bought at any paint store. As far as a sprayer I don't suggest this for you so totally put that idea out of your mind, Good luck Les the painter
Uga usa zi paet (stupid for ';you use paint';)
  • internet
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment