Thursday, February 25, 2010

What can I add to regular paint to make my walls litterally shimmer and sparkle?

It seems that I saw a product a few years back that you could add to a can of paint to create an almost glittery shimmer effect. I don't remember where, and I can't seem to locate it on the internet. Maybe I'm calling it the wrong things?What can I add to regular paint to make my walls litterally shimmer and sparkle?
Perhaps you did see something that was an 'add-in' of glitter of some sort for paint..if there is such a thing your local paint distributor would know about it... if there is not, then it is going to be a two-step process, as has already been mentioned.


Glitter is sold in any construction supply store, in various colors and numerous size grades. The knack of 'timing' the paint tack, with the glitter application is going to be the crux of whether it looks as you have hoped it would.


The more dampness {called 'slump'..} ther is between the glitter, and the paint application, the more of the glitter sticks to it... the dryer the slump, the less glitter will stick..ya see..?


Incidentally, the air pressure blowing the glitter onto the wall will have an affect on the paint's drying time, so , once you start, try not to gain on the paint applications laps-time, or you will be applying glitter to different degrees of dry-times..and it will adhere to the wall differently, as the tacky-ness changes..ya see..?


It's going to be like a 'dance' with paint, glitter, application, and apply-er... sounds like fun, to me... good luck with it all, and try to do an area like a whole wall at once...that's where you will get the timing figured out... it might be you will need a paint apply-er, and a glitter apply-er, following one another in close proximity...maybe not..


Last tip... there will be abundance of glitter that will wind up on the floor, so do a good floor mask-off pryor to staring...save your self a LOT of work, later..cleaning it up.


Have fun..!What can I add to regular paint to make my walls litterally shimmer and sparkle?
Paint stores sell paint with a pearlescent finish.
I know a girl that had her walls freshly painted and then took sparkle powder and had it blown onto the walls and ceiling before they were dry......you can do it with a piece of cardboard folded in the center to use as a reservoir for the powder and then using a hair dryer direct it onto the walls try a very little at first till you get the correct distance......absolutely enchanting....oh and do the painting and shimmering in small increments....and yes it holds up well
add some glitter and mix well.
pearlized glaze or metallic glaze
You can always add some glitter to the paint this will add glimmer to your walls, I have seen this done and it looks very nice, you can try this effect out by painting a small piece of wood and holding it up to the wall you are planning on painting with this effect then walking away about a yard or two and then you can visualize how it will look before making a mistake of painting with that glittery paint. Good Luck !
I did this a few years ago and my ceiling still sparkles. You know that spray for your hair at Halloween that puts glitter in your hair? (not the kind with color). Paint the walls and when its still wet, spray it with that. You have to do one wall at a time (I did half a wall), but its ALOT cheaper than anything else and its lasted my husband and I almost 5 years.
semi-gloss paint

No comments:

Post a Comment